Friday, April 15, 2011

Flashback Friday: Trip to Verona (Italy)

One of the best things about living in Italy was the ability to travel. I wish that I had taken advantage of it more. Maybe later in life, I'll go back to some of these places. Verona was a nice place. Not too touristy. It's also the town where Romeo and Juliet took place.

-----Original Post-----

Okay, so I've been in for around half an hour, and I am still shivering from my trip to Verona. It was not a bad trip, but sweet Jesus, was it cold. There's an organization called Information, Tours, and Registration (ITR) that runs trips for military personnel, to different places. For all of you that don't know, Verona is the place where the historic story of Romeo and Juliet took place. More on that later.

First off, here are some random pictures of the things that I saw. These really came with no explanation to me, so I'm giving no explanation to you, because I'm too cold to make stuff up.

Okay, so enough random pictures. Now for ones that I can say at least a few words about:


Okay, so it's not historical or anything, but I just had to get a picture. I mean, it's baby yogurt. Probably made from the finest babies available. Soylent Green has nothing on this.


This was just some statue that was around. The guy looked pretty pimped, so I took a picture. Pimping ain't easy.

Okay, these are pictures of the Square and the Coliseum. This coliseum is the fourth largest in Italy, the largest one being the one in Rome, and was constructed in the first century A.D. They hold an annual concert here in the summer. Like the coliseum in Rome, it was designed with an outer wall that surrounded the inner wall, but most of it collapsed due to an earthquake in 1117. Rather than clean it up, the rocks were left there, and it became a quarry for the town, which is why there are no stones there now. The design of the coliseums is such that even if people are screaming and cheering inside, there is almost no noise that can be heard in the Square, which is right outside.

This is the clock tower in Verona. It is the largest tower in the city. It's also pretty close to where Romeo lived. I would have taken a picture of his place, but because of the angles and tight places, all that I could get was his door, and it was a damn big door.

Okay, now for the Juliet stuff.

This is Juliet's balcony. Actually, it is a recreation of the balcony, due to the fact that the actual balcony had been destroyed. This balcony was taken from a similar building and used in the restoration. The girl in the picture on the left was just there.


This is interesting. People come here and stick small love letters and notes up on the wall. Unfortunately, they do it using bubblegum. So it's kind of romantic, kind of unsightly. There's going to be another restoration, where I guess that they will remove all of the gum and stuff.


These are close up picture of two of the letters. The one on the left is sweet, but the one on the right says "Spud, I want your rear." How loving.


This is a side by side shot. On the left, you see a woman writing a note on the wall, along with a bunch of other notes that people have written. On the right, you see a painter, painting the opposite wall white. It was just so funny to see. I mean, I don't know who should feel that their efforts are more futile.


Closeups.

Okay, last but not least, in the courtyard, there is a statue of Juliet. Now the statue's right breast is extremely shiny compared to the rest of the statue. This is because they say that your are supposed to rub it, and it will make you lucky in love, or if you are married, it will strengthen your marriage. Yeah, nothing strengthens a marriage more than rubbing a statue's breast. I assume that it makes single people luckier in love because they now have to justify copping a feel on a statue. And so, it's time for teh gorping pictures:

And that concludes my trip to Verona. Maybe I'll do it again when it's warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment