Friday, March 11, 2011

Anatomy of my day(s) at work

Some of you know what I do for a living, and think it's pretty kick ass. This past week, from Wednesday 10am to Thursday 9pm, I had 3 hours of sleep. For some weird reason, I decided to keep a small log of what was going on from my perspective.

Wednesday 10:00 am - Leave home thinking today is going to be a late day. Don;t expect to get home until 8pm or so. Immediately see that I have a problem with my vehicle.

12:45 pm - Have dealt with all issues surrounding vehicle and now have loaner vehicle.

1:15 pm - Find out that the search warrant is going to be revised, and will take at least 2-3 hours.

3:00 pm - Still waiting for revision. Told to "Stand-by". Decide to go to Pathmark to get ham and shredded Swiss cheese to make Chicken Cordon Bleu later in the week.

4:08 pm - Told to be at the staging area at 5:30. Rush home, put food away and start moving to staging area.

4:48 - Almost at staging location. Told not to go to staging location.


5:25 pm - Donuts and coffee. Gotta keep the cliche alive.

5:44 pm - Two of the guys that were already near the staging area have gone to a diner, and invited anyone else around to join them.

5:56 pm - Told that new staging time would be at 8pm.

6:16 pm - arrive at diner. Hostess immediately sees me and asks if I am looking for two other people. Apparently, we are easy to recognize. See squad mate who has ashes on his head, but has plate of meat in front of him. Ask him if he is Catholic. He is upset because he forgot about the "no meat on Ash Wednesday" thing. Others arrive, make jokes, hope search will be called off.

8:30 pm - Search begins. This is the craziest house I've ever seen. Crazier than the mafia hitman's house.

12:05 am - Boss releases me because of the arrest the next day. Late, I find out that the search continued until 2:30 am.

Thursday, 1:00 am - Arrive at home. Determine that I need to leave my apartment at 4:45am, for a 30 minute drive plus buffer, in order to arrive at the staging area.

Wake up, get dressed, look at watch and think that I'm running late. Jay-Z is playing on radio

4:05 am - Wake up FOR REAL, Jay-Z is still on the radio.

4:10 am - Hit snooze on alarm on phone.

4:15 am - Without turning on lights, reach for a box that has 5-Hour Energy bottles. Drink breakfast. Shower, brush teeth, and get dressed.

4:30 am - Decide that a 5-Hour Energy is probably not the best thing for breakfast. Grab an apple and a Marshmallow Pie and put them in pockets.

4:44 am - Catch glimpse of self in mirror and realize that I have not shaved in 3 days. Shave.

4:46 am - Exit apartment. Realize that I forgot my suit to change into later. Go back.

4:48 am - Exit apartment. Get into car.

4:55 am - There is no traffic ANYWHERE. Exceed speed limit.

5:00 am - Apple wasn't very good.

5:35 am - Arrive at Staging Area.

5:45 am - Briefing. I see that the other guys are drinking coffee and Monster.

5:55 am - Put on body armor. Sit and wait.

6:00 am - leave for location

6:30 am - Target in pocket. Had to get all his medication, glasses, and give him orange juice before we leave.

6:40 am - Target is sleeping.

7:30 am - Arrive for processing. I'm good at fingerprinting

7:40 am - Change into suit. Donuts and coffee.

12:45 pm - First real food. Too spicy.

1:30 pm - Glimmer of hope that this might end at a reasonable time.

1:35 pm - Hope destroyed.

2:00 pm - playing Angry Birds.

2:40 pm - more waiting

2:58 pm - thinking about buying bed sheets from Walmart.

3:00 pm - Judge Kevin M. Fox proceeds to read everything that relates to every charge and case. Somehow, my guy was the first one in, and will be the last one done.

3:04 pm - my eyes stopped focusing. Contemplate taking a nap in the court room.

3:21 pm - Blacking out

15:40 pm - Court just stopped. No idea why. I think the judge is updating his Facebook status: "First she was like 'Guilty,' then she was all like 'Not guilty.' LOL."

4:00 pm - realized that I worked all the hours so far today except the three that I was asleep for.

4:50 pm - Finally, our guys are up. Judge releases 7 of the guys on their own recognizance, because they "don't pose a flight risk." All have tons of money and multiple houses. Gives $50K bail for guy that has been unemployed for months and has health problems. WTF?

5:55 pm to 9:30 pm- Leave court. Go Home. Go to martial arts class. Body decided to not be as tired.

12:05 am - Try to fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... sounds hectic. I like the random "blacking out" comment at 3:21 p.m.

    ReplyDelete