Monday, March 28, 2011

Operating In The Gap

Before I get into the entry, you may have noticed a blog title change. I'm still working with what I should call this damn thing. Suggestions welcome. Also, tell your friends to follow this.

Due to under-staffing, combined with an increase in workload, I work for two bosses, at two different offices, and have two desks. On a positive note, I live in between the two offices, so it's not like either has a terrible commute. However, one has underground parking, so I never have to look for a parking spot. The other one has the advantage of having a better gym, not being too far from where I have my PO Box, and being near the gym that I swim at. However, parking sucks balls.

The fact that I have two bosses and two desks that are so far apart creates my ability to operate in the gap. The idea stems off a discussion with another coworker regarding a supervisor that had to do this for a short period. The most important part was the idea that "If you're not here, everyone assumes that you are there, and if you are not there, they assume that you are here." Essentially, it creates an accountability gap that only you can verify. If people don't see you around the office, they already have a reason in their minds. As long as you get all of your work done, no one ever questions you. Lastly, because both sides assume that you are busy, they decrease your workload.

This allows me to do a number of things. First of all is work out mid-day, which is something that I am very excited about. I'm working out twice a day in preparation for tryouts, and the ability to do a heavier workout is necessary.

The second thing is shooting, which something that I am very excited about. Last Friday I went to the shooting range and fired off over half a case of ammunition (about 300 rounds), working on bullseye targets and tightening up my groups. It's work related, so I don't have to feel guilty.

The third is running errands, which something that I am very excited about. In order to make these ok, however, I have to do them in between other pieces of work. These are more like check mail, pick up a part from Home Depot, or write a blog entry.

This does create some dilemmas, though. Occasionally, the stars align and work for both bosses all hit at once. Suddenly, I have a FULL week. I mean 6-7 days of work, and, at one point, a 29-hour day.

Outside of this, I can quietly fill my schedule with the work of my choice, and almost be my own boss. I just also have to not be at my desk a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment